Our research activity
The NHS aspires to the highest standards of excellence and professionalism…through its commitment to innovation and to the promotion, conduct and use of research to improve the current and future health and care of the population.
– NHS Constitution
Initiation – Setting up research studies and recruiting the first patient
All clinical trial research that takes place in the NHS has to have approval from an NHS Research Ethics Committee, the MHRA if it is a drug or device trial, and the host organisation via its NHS permission. NHS permission from CMFT ensures everything is in place for the research to go ahead from a regulatory and practical perspective.
We work hard at streamlining our research processes to set up clinical trials quicker, whilst maintaining robust governance procedures according to the Research Governance Framework.
You can see how we perform against the NIHR benchmark of 70 days from a valid application to first patient recruited: research initiation. This benchmark has been prescribed by the NIHR and, in order to pinpoint areas for improvement from a local and national level, reasons are assigned that cause delays.
- Q3 2016/17 initiation data – NHS
- Q3 2016/17 initiation data – HRA
- Q2 2016/17 initiation data – NHS
- Q2 2016/17 initiation data – HRA
- Q1 2016/17 initiation data – NHS
- Q1 2016/17 initiation data – HRA
- Q4 2015/16 initiation data
- Q3 2015/16 initiation data
- Q2 2015/16 initiation data
- Q1 2015/16 initiation data
- Q4 2014/15 initiation data
Delivery – Patients recruited to research studies
Our Trust is committed to providing patients with the opportunity to participate in research. In 2014-15 over 15,000 patients were recruited to research studies. In NHS Trusts across England, our Trust had the fourth highest number of patients in NIHR portfolio research studies.
Delivery for Industry
Working with Industry our Trust agrees to try and find a certain number of participants in a particular timeframe for their trials. The NIHR are encouraging transparency and below is our data for delivering “to time and target”.
- Q3 2016/17 “to time and target” delivery data
- Q2 2016/17 “to time and target” delivery data
- Q1 2016/17 “to time and target” delivery data
- Q4 2015/16 “to time and target” delivery data
- Q3 2015/16 “to time and target” delivery data
- Q2 2015/16 “to time and target” delivery data
- Q1 2015/16 “to time and target” delivery data
- Q4 2014/15 “to time and target” delivery data