Manchester University NHS Founation Trust sits in the heart of Corridor Manchester – Manchester’s cosmopolitan hub and world-class innovation district.
Being part of Corridor Manchester and the Greater Manchester Health and Social Care devolution (GMdevo) supports our vision to be recognised nationally and internationally as a centre for research and innovation. Corridor Manchester is home to a group of knowledge-intensive organisations and businesses operating in areas including health and higher education. The Corridor boasts:
- One of the largest clinical academic campuses in Europe – comprising Central Manchester Hospitals and The University of Manchester
- Dedicated, safe in and out patient research facilities with considerable clinical trial and recruitment expertise, for example our NIHR / Wellcome Trust Manchester Clinical Research Facility and Children’s Clinical Research Facility.
- Manchester has the UK’s largest and fastest growing city in population and economic terms after London, generating £3.2 billion (£1.1 billion on health and social care work) in GVA (profit plus wages) per annum consistently accounting for 20% of Manchester’s GVA.
- A rich, stable ethnically diverse population test-bed of over 3 million people with some of the poorest health in Europe.
- The University of Manchester ranked 5th in the UK in terms of research power.
- Access to university research, laboratories, incubation and grown on space; and 70,000 students (including 25,000 studying medicine, biological sciences, engineering and computer science) with more than 70% of graduates remaining in the North West after graduation.
- UK’s second most significant source of UK life-science spin-outs.