We recommend that researchers wishing to use samples from the Biobank first make an informal expression of interest to the Biobank Manager, to check whether the types of samples required are already in the bank and, if not, how long it would take for the bank to collect these samples.
To submit a formal application, each researcher will need to write a full scientific proposal using the Biobank application for samples and data. Once the proforma has been completed and signed, it should be emailed or posted to the Biobank Manager.
Our biobank is a resource for health research available to all bona-fide researchers via our application process. We hold a large collection of human biological samples with associated clinical information.
All human biological samples collected by The Biobank have full ethical approval, and is handled within the conditions of the ethical approval gained, in accordance with the requirements of the Human Tissue Act 2004 and under the governance of the Human Tissue Authority (HTA) Licence (#12552).
The Biobank has been ethically approved as a research tissue bank by the NRES Committee North West – Haydock (Ref: 14/NW/1260). The Biobank is authorised to ethically approve biomedical research projects that fall within this governance structure. Researchers receiving samples from The Biobank are not required to have individual project based ethical approval from NRES.
- Uterus (tumour, associated normal, control normal, benign conditions)
- Ovary (tumour, associated normal, control normal, benign conditions)
- Colon, ileum (tumour, associated normal, control normal, crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis)
- Kidney (tumour, associated normal, control normal)
- Liver (tumour, associated normal, control normal)
- Prostate (tumour, associated normal)
- Thyroid, parathyroid (tumour, associated normal, benign conditions)
- Head & neck (tumour, associated normal, control normal)
- Fresh tissue in perfusion solution (medium of choice available 1hr post-surgical removal)
- Frozen tissue
- FFPE (formalin fixed paraffin embedded) tissue blocks
- Frozen or FFPE tissue sections mounted on glass slides
- Blood or tissue-derived DNA, RNA and protein
- Case-matched serum and plasma
We also offer prospective collection of samples to meet specific requirements of biomedical studies. Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust cares for over one million patients a year, with demographics representative of all major developed world disease areas, ethnic groups and areas of considerable deprivation.