Research Training Opportunities
It is essential that those involved in research are equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to enable them to conduct research effectively and to the highest possible standards. It is therefore imperative that researchers receive adequate training.
The training team are tasked by the NIHR CRN to provide regular training courses in subjects such as Good Clinical Practice (GCP) to support the CRN research delivery workforce. The system used to administer and book these courses has changed from the NIHR Learning Management System to CRN Learn. You can register with CRN Learn here to access training opportunities.
NIHR Introduction to Good Clinical Practice
This full day course is for those who have not done GCP before
This course is designed to provide a basic introduction to Good Clinical Practice (GCP) and the EU Directives, UK Regulations and Research Governance Framework requirements covering clinical trials and other NIHR Portfolio studies conducted within the NHS.
The session has a practical focus with the key aim being that participants know what to do to practice excellent GCP when they return to their workplace to ensure that the rights, safety and well-being of patients are always protected.
Expected Learning Outcomes
Following the course, participants will have a demonstrable understanding of the background and practical implications of GCP. This understanding is intended to be a foundation for action about translating principles into practice and give participants the confidence to take a proactive role in improving processes and standards within their own work area.
The course is aimed at site staff involved in the conduct of studies once they have been accepted onto the NIHR Portfolio. Individuals involved in the design and management of portfolio studies are able to access this course but should be aware that it will not address their specific needs.
NIHR Good Clinical Practice (GCP) Refresher Criteria
Research delivery staff who:
- have previously completed either taught or on-line Good Clinical Practice (GCP) training.
- have recent practical experience of working in a clinical research environment and have a good understanding of the principles and quality standards of GCP and related frameworks.
The course is not suitable for:
- new researchers who do not have experience of working in a clinical research environment
- research staff who are not familiar with GCP
The purpose of this Refresher course is to reinforce and consolidate previous learning, provide an opportunity for you to reflect on your practice and raise your awareness of recent and relevant developments in GCP and related areas of research governance. The course will also reinforce the importance of keeping up-to-date with developments and making sure you and your team continue to evaluate their research practice and make improvements if required. You will be signposted to resources and quality tools that will support you.
Expected Learning Outcomes
Following the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the interwoven framework of laws and guidance which govern the set up and conduct of clinical research in the NHS
- Demonstrate how their own practice is consistent with the principles and quality standards of GCP
- Identify areas for development and improvement that reflect common audit and inspection findings
- Describe recent changes in GCP and related policy and guidance and identify how this applies to their own practice
- Recognise the role of the NIHR Clinical Research Network in supporting increases in the quality and volume of clinical research
- Know how to access relevant resources and keep updated